What does it take to be successful as a supervisor at CSU? Experience teaches us that focusing on self discovery, interpersonal skills (relationship building), systems thinking, and coaching helps us to be successful leaders and creates successful teams.
The Supervisor Development Program is designed to help supervisors become effective and inspired in their role at CSU for the betterment of themselves and their team members.
Through this program you will develop strategies to:
- build strengths that contribute to individual, team and organizational success
- apply interpersonal skills to enhance the workplace
- learn to meet the four basic needs of a team
- form and enhance networks to provide pathways to success
How it works
This is not a one-size-fits-all approach to supervision. The Supervisor Development Program is made up of foundation classes and professional development classes all designed to help you with your professional development as an individual and as a supervisor. The program is self-directed, so you decide what you want to take and when.
- Foundation only
Take only the three foundational classes: Mindset for Supervisors, Rules of the Road, and Inclusive Excellence.
If you want a more comprehensive training and a certificate for the supervisor development program, you will complete the foundation classes and take eight more classes of your choosing from the professional development series. All of this is done on a timeline that is right for you.
Foundation classes are held monthly every semester and can be completed over the course of one semester. Professional development classes are held each semester, though topics and class offerings may change from semester to semester.
- Mindset for Supervisors
Understand who you are as a supervisor by exploring the strengths you bring to the role; build your knowledge of team dynamics, and explore how your team contributes to the mission of the institution. This class includes the creation of an individualized supervisor professional development plan.
- Rules of the Road
This class covers employment law and policies.
- Inclusive Excellence
This class covers diversity, inclusion, and the impact that unconscious bias may play in the workplace.
Professional Development Series
These are not the exact class names as the offerings change from semester to semester. Please visit the registration page to see what classes are offered this semester.
Core Classes (choose 4 classes)
- Role of Emotional Intelligence in Leadership
- Strengths-Based Leadership
- Inclusive Conversations
- The Power of Feedback: Constructive and Positive
- Effective Teams
- Creating a Shared Vision
- Systems Thinking: Your Role in the Big Picture
- Embracing Appreciative Inquiry
Elective Classes (choose 4 classes)
- Hope in the Workplace
- Crafting Your Career
- The Essential Elements of Well-being
- Personal Effectiveness and Time Management
- Emerging Women Leaders’ Webinar Series
- Crucial Conversations
- Subtleties of Communication
- Masterful Training and Facilitation
- Advanced Facilitation
- *Coaching Basics
- Working in a Multi-Generational Workforce
- Generation Z
- Situational Leadership
- Balancing Act (managing students and seasonal employees)
- Inside CSU
- *Appreciative Leadership
- Critical Thinking